Monday, March 19, 2012

The New Shop

Today is a lovely, spring day!

When I sat down to do this post, I was reminded of how long it has been since I have posted.  I was shocked!  Literally, shocked.  How can time pass so quickly?  They say, time flies when you're having fun and we have been having a ball.  Yes, the move to 114 Queen Street, Woodstock has been fun.  Exhausting, draining, exciting, challenging and fun.   We are here and somewhat settled.  Maybe as settled as I ever am.  I don't actually plan for life to be chaotic but well, each time I make a plan it seems like a good idea at the time.  Yes, I tend to be impulsive but I must say, "life is never dull for the old Christmas Crab".

The most asked question about the move is "Do you have more space?"  In replay I either:  politely say, No but there is great storage and I needed to lower my overhead.  or I glare and say ......something sassy.  Sorry to those who have gotten the second.  Along with the impulsiveness and hot flashes I have teeny, weeny, little, bitty  mood swings

The shop is cozy with exposed brick running half way down the length of the outside wall and pretty yellow paint behind the fabric bolts and numerous samples on display.  Then we have the threads and notions and the Christmas Nook all along that one side.  At this point is the "fire exit/emergency Bake Shop run" door. The classroom has it own space in the back of the shop by the kitchenette and bathroom.  The batting couldn't get along with the other cotton so we put it in the change room. Continuing up the wall is the cutting table, cash counter and my Hemlines sewing area.  Just before you get back to the door is the pattern wall and Bernina/Babylock table.  Dixie Lee is on the right, Krissy's Cafe is on the left and Freshmarket Foods is right across the street.  Quilts and Food make this a very happy street.

Peter is working here full time and considering that he and I share a house, teenage daughter, car and office.... things are going pretty smoothly.  I have only fired him once.  Two or three times in the same day only counts as once, right?  Seriously, he has always been my "white knight" and I am  very proud of him.  He gets to the machines promptly and always does his best.  The cost of a basic service is around $50.

Piece Out
Jo-Anne